Friday, November 27, 2009

Phases.

During every phase of life, there are things that happen to every person. These are the things we talk about.


In the single age years (1-9), it's losing teeth. It's getting on the honor roll. It's collecting rolly polleys in a sand bucket.

In the preteen/early teen years (10-14), it's finding the courage to talk to that boy you have a crush on. It's getting on braces. It's making the team.

In the teen years (15-19), it's your first real date. It's getting your driver's license. It's your first love. It's becoming the age of majority and getting to vote.

Then there's the 20s. Yup, that's me. I'm in this phase and it seems anything is fair game. A lot of things are "supposed" to happen in your 20s:
Your first apartment. Turning 21. Graduating and scoring a great job. Finding "the one." Getting engaged. Getting married. Having babies.

Gag. me. now.

Maybe I'm a bit bitter that I've completed only one of the those tasks. But here's my thing, EVERY SINGLE PERSON is getting engaged, getting married and having babies. Every time I turn around there's another diamond ring profile picture. And honestly, I'm pretty tired of having it shoved in my face.

Yes, you are engaged. Yes, you are a newlywed. Yes, you've landed the perfect job. Please.

(On my side note, my current annoyance is when people use facebook as a way to "flaunt" their lives. If you're happy, be happy. But if you're trying to make your life look superior to others, chances are you are spending more time making your profile look that way than you actually are living happily.)

I guess this 20s phase is better than the alternative. The older we get, the bleaker it gets. I'm not ready to hear about my friend's kids going to college. Or my best friend hitting menopause. Or people from my high school class dying of old age. So I guess I'm stuck here. In my 20s. Watching happiness unfold at every corner.



I'm a twenty-something. Leave me alone.

3 comments:

  1. Full disclosure: Yes, I'm engaged. But hear me out.

    Isn't being engaged/being a newlywed supposed to be one of the happiest times of your life? What's wrong with people being happy about it? I understand it gets repetitive and borderline annoying when it seems like everyone and their mom on Facebook is changing their relationship status to "engaged" or "married" or whatever, but those people shouldn't have to suppress their excitement because other people don't like it.

    I get upset every time someone who got engaged AFTER me gets married BEFORE me (my wedding is put on hold indefinitely due to financial reasons, yadda yadda yadda), but I just try to remember that most of those people aren't posting those things to make me or anyone else feel bad -- they're just trying to enjoy this exciting part of their lives.

    Not that you should be following suit -- you are right on for just trying to enjoy your 20s -- I'm just sayin... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Brooke! And for the comment. My post did sound super bitter as I re-read it. I don't remember what was going on that day, but something clearly set me off. haha.

    Yes, engaged and married people are definitely allowed to be happy :) It's just rather scary though when everyone is at the brink of marriage!

    ReplyDelete