Sunday, February 13, 2011

I have the fever: Bieber, that is.

This day was inevitable. I resisted it for so long, but I couldn't hold back any longer today.

I just followed @justinbieber on Twitter.

This is sort of monumental.

When Bieber first appeared, I was HIGHLY annoyed by all of the fandom and the I-Love-You-Justin-T-Shirts and the 13-year-old girls calling themselves Mrs. Bieber. Thus, I thought his voice was annoying. I couldn't possibly enjoy the same type of entertainment as girls who were learning what a parabola was the for the first time. That's sort of my thing though. If everyone is obsessed, I don't want to be. Hansen, Wicked, Twilight, High School Musical. I refused to like these things for quite a while. I mean, I watched High School Musical for the first time two weeks ago. And loved it.

So the fever started a week ago when I saw a preview for Bieber's movie "Never Say Never." (I'll wait for a second while you fall off your chair laughing at me.) Yes, he's 16 and he can't possibly have had that many life trials as of yet, but the movie looks freaking inspirational. 12-year-old boy loves to sing and sings for his family all of the time and has a dream to be a recording artist. Said boy starts making YouTube videos. Big time music person hears it. Usher hears him. And the next thing you know he's playing on repeat on almost every iPod in America. Pretty great story. Plus, who doesn't like to see behind the scenes of stardom?

Then there was the Grammy's tonight. I am a smidge ashamed to say that his performance was one of my favorites (next to the Mumford/Avett, Muse and Katy Perry performances). It starts with a video of 13-year-old Bieber singing to Usher. On the Grammy stage, Usher tells the story of meeting Bieber in a parking lot and that if it was meant to be they'd see each other again. Okay, if Usher introduces you, I'm probably going to love you anyway. But how sweet is that?

He also had one of the better visual performances of the night. Lots of fun dancing. Seriously, that kid can move. Blue suits. Drummers.

And who can say no to a little Jaden Smith? (With parents Will and Jada grinning ear to ear in the crowd. Did anyone else see Will mouth "That's my baby!" ?) Throw in a little OH MY GOD with Usher and you've got a great performance. 

The music is actually quite good without the help of Usher and the visual effects, too. He has an interesting and innocent quality to his voice, and he can definitely hold a tune in a bucket. And yes, Bieber's beats do have an undeniable hook. Let's face it. He's been seducing the pre-teen crowd with them for quite some time now. Baby baby baby oooooooooo.

I'm sure the hair helps too.

So to recap, I have a wee bit of Bieber fever. He's an adorable little thing, and I just want to pinch his cheeks. And tell him it's okay that he lost best new artist to Esperanza Spalding whom we've never heard of. Half of America isn't watching HER in 3D this weekend.

I guess that makes me One Less Bieberless Girl. (I couldn't resist)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment