Thursday, January 6, 2011

Biking Adventure: White Rock Lake

First off, I've been attempting to write this blog all week long. AND I have a super awesome excuse as to why it's just being posted today. Two actually. (1) I kept trying to sign into my Blogger account from the wrong email. I'm clearly a very smart, almost college grad. (2) My laptop literally had 0 KB and clearly had no room for uploading photos. So there's that.

I had serious cabin fever last Thursday. Like will do anything to leave this house, will literally end someone's life if I watch another episode of daytime television kind of cabin fever. My dad took the whole week off work, and my dad is the kind of guy who will pull you off your butt and throw you on the racquetball court or the elliptical machine. He works out three times a week, and has his whole life. No fail. Today the grand idea was...a bike ride. (Okay, so this may sound a little sarcastic toward my dad. But once he gets you motivated to get up and do something active, it's ALWAYS a blast.) So after careful consideration, we decided to take on the 10 mile White Rock Lake Trail.

We were truly geared up. Camelback full of water. Helmets. Gloves. Sunglasses. I was really excited. "I can do this, right!?"

One mile into the trail I. AM. DYING. I felt so incredibly pitiful. I hadn't biked since the summer, and my work out schedule this past semester was less than satisfactory. But there's Dad a few (okay, several) paces in front of me saying with a little grin, "Come on, Shea! You can do it!"

A mile or two-ish later, I worked past that oh-my-gosh-I-can't-do-this pain and was really starting to enjoy the ride as we arrived at the lake. Every hill, I would think I wasn't going to make it but then I'd get to the top. And I'd get to coast to the bottom. Did I mention the wind wasn't at our backs? Makes hills alllll the more frustrating. Yes, it's possible that I yelled at the wind while I was on a hill by myself. Don't judge. The wind didn't. It just pushed at me harder.

We saw lots of interesting people on the trail, too. Some couples riding tandem. A unicyclist, and, no, I'm not kidding. He was seriously biking the trail, too. Two 15 year olds on a roller blading date. Try this motivation on for size: packs of seemingly semi-professional cyclists. The matching uniforms and everything. When I felt like giving up, I wouldn't. I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of people who were probably on their way to biking 20 miles that day.

Probably halfway through the trail, dad's pedal started getting loose. He had literally packed every tool in the Camelback...except the pedal tightener. On our way back, we came across a bike shop where they so kindly tightened the pedal for us.

At the end of the trail there are lots of little bridges. My dad's favorite thing to do was speed across them. At the last bridge he says, "Push it! Go as fast as you can!" I pushed my legs as fast as they would go, which wasn't full full full speed ahead. But you know what? I made it. I biked 10 miles on a windey, hilly trail with my super athletic dad.

I plan on doing these biking adventures more frequently. I could really get into this.

No comments:

Post a Comment