Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Final Semester Begins.

Today was my last first day of college. Ever.

I think I'm the opposite of most college seniors. It seems the overwhelming majority of students in my position can't wait to be finished, to never take an exam again and to move on to "real" life. I, on the other hand, am shaking in my boots. Once I walk the stage, I'm not sure what will become of me. I'd like to think I have a pretty good resume. I did my time at the NT Daily. I've interned in several different areas. Editorially at The Dallas Observer and at Gateway Church. I also tried my hand at public relations with Big Ink PR last semester. But is it enough?

I know of many journalism grads who haven't found a career-oriented job yet. And, most of them had great internships and are great at what they do. Okay, it's not completely bleak. I know of several grads who found jobs in the field and are having the times of their lives. I just really hope that I'm one of them. 

That means this semester I will be applying my butt off for various writing jobs. I will be religiously be keeping up with Twitter chats like #EntryChat and will continue following PR and journalism pros. In spite of this job-scarce market, I won't let myself stop dreaming about where my career can take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment